Network adapter lets you connect to the internet. If you are unable to use internet, there might be different problems with network e. One of them is missing or outdated network adapter driver. Before jumping to conclusion that your network adapter driver is missing, you must go for troubleshooting. If there are no other issues, then it is driver issue definitely.
How to fix network adapter driver issue?
Drivers need to be updated to match the improved performance and interoperability of hardware devices. You can update or install network adapter driver software from manufacturer’s website as well. But wait! First you need to know the make and model of your hardware device to know which driver is compatible to run it. You can follow following steps to update drivers.
1. For Windows XP or earlier versions: Go to Start> Control panel> System> Hardware> Device Manager.
For Windows, 7 or Vista: Click on Windows icon in the taskbar and type “Device manager” in search field. It will appear in the top of start menu. Click to open.
2. Expand “Network adapters” to find your device. Right click on it to install, uninstall, disable, or update your device.
3. For now, right click on your device and go to properties. Under “General” tab, you will see “Device status.” If it is working properly, then that’s fine. If there is any problem with your device, such as missing drivers, then it will be written. You can do two things.
a. Click on “update driver.” If you have an installation disk inserted, you can choose “Browse my computer for driver software.” If you do not have CD, click on “search automatically for updated driver software.” Make sure you are connected to internet. It will search for compatible network adapter driver and install it. If it is unable to find any suitable driver for you, follow step b.
b. Note down name of the manufacturer and model of your device.
4. Open manufacturer’s website in your browser and find drivers for the specific make and model of your device. For instance, if manufacturer’s name for network adapters is Microsoft, then type www.microsoft.com in the address bar. When the page opens, go to either “support” or “downloads” to find your desired driver. Otherwise, simply type in the search box.
5. If you have located the driver, download the latest driver by following the instructions. After it is downloaded, you might have to double click the file to begin installation. Or some drivers start getting installed automatically. After the installation is complete, you will be able to use internet by then.