Svchost.exe is a host process containing many services that other windows programs need for carrying out many functions. You can see which Svchost.exe processes are running in the background by opening task manager and clicking on the tab “Processes.” You will only feel its presence when it causes error known as Svchost.exe error.
Svchost.exe is a type of file needed to load DLL files when they are needed by Windows. We have already seen that DLL files are very important for smooth running of your PC and how to fix DLL error in any case it occurs. You will see many Svchost.exe services running in the task manager. They host one or more services that Windows require. If only one Svchost.exe would be hosting all services and it stops working, the whole system would crash. So they are many in number either hosting one or more services.
Causes of Svchost.exe error
• Incomplete installation of any program
• Improper termination of any program
• Windows update errors
How to fix Svchost.exe error?
If you are getting error messages that point towards Svchost.exe, follow the following steps to fix Svchost.exe error.
1. Press windows and alphabet key “R” together. A dialog box opens. Type services.msc.
2. Locate “windows update” and double click on it. Windows update properties box will open.
3. Go to “Log on” tab and select “Local system account” and uncheck “Allow service to interact with windows.”
4. Click “General” tab and see if the service is already started. If it is not, then click start and then OK.
5. Repeat the steps for “Background Intelligent Transfer Service” instead of “Windows update.”
6. Now press windows and alphabet key “R” together. Type cmd.
7. A Command prompt menu will open. Type regsvr32 wuapi.dll and press enter. It will show you a message like this: “DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded.”
8. Now type these commands one by one and press enter after each of them. As you will press “enter” after each one of them, it will give you a message saying that it has been successfully configured.
9. Now delete the corrupted files of Windows update. Type each one of them below and hit enter after each.
net stop wuauserv
ren SoftwareDistribution SD_OLD
net start wuauserv
When you write “exit” in the end, the box will close automatically.
10. Reboot your computer. By then, the problem must have resolved.